Library rates, locations & hours
Public Library of Utrecht
Good to know
- You can register online or in the library. Bring a valid passport, ID card or driving licence with you, including when collecting your library card after registering online.
- With your library card, you can borrow and return books at all libraries in Utrecht province, with the exception of Nieuwegein.
- You may have overdue fines of up to € 10.00 for a maximum of 30 days. After that, your card will be blocked until you have paid. If the overdue amount is € 10.00 or over, the card will be blocked immediately. After two months, you will receive a bill with additional administrative charges of € 2.50.
- If your card is lost or stolen, you can buy a replacement card for € 3.50. Please don’t forget to block your lost card in ‘mijn menu’ (‘my menu’).
- Your membership is valid for one year and is automatically renewed for a year. You can cancel your membership no later than 4 weeks prior to the renewal date through the website, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have been a member for more than a year, you can cancel at any time during the year. The amount for the remaining months will then be refunded to you, with a deduction of € 5.00 administration charges.
We reserve the right to change rates and conditions. You can find our conditions in our General Rules and Regulations: please refer to our website.
The library on your phone. Use our Bibliotheek Wise app!
Download the app here:
Getting around in the Public Library 5 golden tips for members
Tip 1: Borrow and return anywhere
- Use your library card to borrow and return items at any library in the Province of Utrecht (except Nieuwegein)
- You have access to more than 2 million books, e-books, e-audio books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and games…
Tip 2: Free online holds and renewals
- Use the ‘Catalogus’ (Catalogue) on our website to reserve items online (free with a standard membership and a children’s/teen’s membership, age 17 and younger).
- Use ‘Verlengen | Mijn menu’ (Renew | My menu) to access your own account.
- You can check the details of the books you have borrowed and renew items here.
- Tip: log in regularly to make sure your loan period has not expired!
Tip 3: Never overdue again?
- Subscribe to the ‘never overdue again service’.
- Several days before your loan period expires, you will receive an e-mail message.
- For more information on this service, please see the desk clerk at your library.
Tip 4: Always the latest books
- The collections in our branches are updated every week.
- You can recognise new books by the ‘New’ sticker.
- You can also find a list of the latest titles on the website.
- Check out the Sprinters: Topical books that you can borrow virtually immediately for one week.
Tip 5: Borrow e-books and e-audio books for free
- As a member of the library, you can read and listen to digital material for free.
- You can make an account on the special e-books page